Monday, June 21, 2010

Fondant for Beginners: Tools

The real reason I went into baking was because fondant cakes fascinated me. I saw this cake at a baby shower I attended and found out I couldn't afford it. So, I told myself that I will try my best to learn how to do it. This is the first fondant cake I've ever made.

I'll write a series of posts of the tools, ingredients and how-to's of how I started instead of writing all of them in one post. I don't want to overwhelm you with information. I just want to help you get started and kinda get a feel of whether or not this is something that you want to venture on.

Here's a few more things I learned from my mistakes when I made my first cake:
  1. Fondant loops or bows should be done in advance for it to dry and hold it shape.
  2. DO NOT use facial tissue to hold the shape of the bows because the paper will stick to the fondant. Use paper towel or wax paper instead instead.
  3. DO NOT refrigerate the cake once it is covered with fondant. The condensation in the refrigerator will make the cake sticky.

TOOLS
  • 2 - 9" round cake pans from my bakeware set to bake the cake

    Wilton Fondant 20 Inch Rolling Pin
  • Big and Small Rolling Pins - this is used to roll out the fondant. I used a regular rolling pin. Later on, I bought the Wilton Fondant 20" Rolling Pin (about $20)and the Guide Rings ($4-5) that helped roll out fondant to the right thickness. I also had a small rolling pin I used to roll out small pieces of fondant for the decoration. I'm not even sure where I got it. It's almost like a toy. You can stick with the big rolling pin but for convenience I recommend the Wilton Fondant 9" Rolling Pin.

  • Rolling Mat - a nonstick surface for rolling out fondant. It's also pre-marked with circles and one-inch square grid which is a big help for measuring, rolling and cutting fondant. It's about $10.
Wilton Set of 3 Round Cut Outs
  • Round Cut-outs - helped me cut the circle shapes. The set is $3 from Michael's.




  • Cutter/Embosser - this is what I used to make that zig-zag mark on the fondant bow and ribbon.

I used home-made marshmallow fondant to cover the cake and make the decorations.

Stay tuned for the remaining posts in this series:

4 comments:

  1. Very informative Site.. easy to follow...Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou so much for jumping right into it, and telling us why we may want to make a fondant cake, or where fondant came from. So annoying when bloogers waste 10 minutes of reading explaining why we are looking up directions for whatever we are looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is an easy tutorial for how to cover a cake with fondant. momsandmunchkin. Moms and Munchkinsfondant for cake decoration

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...